Wednesday, January 6, 2010

When Life Throws You a Curve Ball - Throw It Back!


My goodness it's cold outside!  I think I've had enough winter now and spring is sounding better and better as each cold day passes.

The one nice thing about cold weather, is that it gives us the perfect excuse to sit inside beside a warm fire and contemplate the future, our dreams and our goals.

When Life Throws You a Curve Ball - Throw It Back!

I've read that some of the curve balls Life throws us are equal in stress to that of a death in the family.  If that is indeed true, then the past couple of months have dealt me with at least 4 deaths.

As I've spent weeks curled into the fetal position contemplating how to get on with life, I've come to realized that family, friends, and especially grandchildren are the magical balm for a troubled soul.  I've realized that it's okay to give yourself permission to do nothing for a little while, and that crying is part of the healing process.

There comes a point in time when you are sick of crying and feeling sorry for yourself, and that living in limbo is no longer acceptable.  When that time comes, you're ready to move on.  That's where I am.

Now that I'm able to function at a more normal level and with only rare crying jags, I find myself excited about tackling this New Year and finding ways to make it the best year of my life!

As one dear friend told me during my ordeal, "It's going to be a year of firsts for you. The year that you can do anything you darn well please, when you want to do it and how you want it done, thank you very much!"

After a few giggles, I began to think about what some of my 'firsts' are going to be, and those thoughts lead me to, yep you guessed it, contemplating my resolutions for the New Year.

Resolving to Live a Life of Abundance

Now, give me a chance before you click off.  Resolution isn't a bad word, heck if it makes you giggle call it Jim Bob or Snickerdoodle. 

Resolutions actually give us focus and direction in life.  Without resolutions, or goals if you will, we live life day to day bouncing from one path to another with no apparent plan in mind.  Worse yet, some of us waste precious life hoping that 'someday' something truly amazing will happen to us.  Sadly, we wake up years later and realize that life has passed us by.

Did you know that the power is within you to make truly great things happen?  That you are in control of your destiny?  It's the truth!  Oh wait...that a future blog...back to resolutions.

I Resolve To...

This year I have resolved to become a vegetarian.  I've never been a big meat lover, so it just makes sense now in my life, to avoid the extra grocery bill expense and to save my arteries from further abuse.  I have no plans to go crazy and begin preaching to family and friends about their meat consumption, so everyone, you can rest easy.

Becoming vegetarian is a personal choice, and like all personal choices, it isn't necessarily for everyone.  But, if you're on the fence and considering the switch yourself, I have to tell you that I feel more energetic and more in control of my life than before.  I've lost some weight and am more inclinded to walk around the neighborhood or exercise to a DVD.

I've also resolved to take better care of myself.  Not health-wise, I think I'm on the right path in that area.  What I'm thinking is more along the lines of treating myself to a massage once in awhile, taking some art classes, or just taking the time to sit down and paint.

I'm thinking of planning adventures with family and friends, and doing things outside my usual comfort zone, and figuring out how to unleash that mildly hippie side of my nature that has been shut away for much too long.

These are all things that I want and need to do for myself.  I can hardly wait to get started!!  It's going to be a blast!

I haven't figured out all the details yet, but that's okay.  I have a plan, I know where I'm headed, and how and when I get there are all part of the adventure. 

So, what are your hopes and dreams for 2010?  I'd love to hear from you...

1 comment:

  1. The "Happy Ending" is that you have moved on!

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete

We reserve the right to remove comments with profanity, personal attacks, spam, overt advertisements or other inappropriate material.