Sunday, October 4, 2009

Breast Cancer Awareness: Spot Compressions


"This message is for Sheree'.  Sheree', this is Patty calling from the Radiology Department. Would you please give us a call at 930-xxxx?"

I felt the fingers of fear begin their dance up my spine. I had to listen to the message three times before I was able to write down the full phone number.

"Hi, Patty.  This is Sheree', returning your call."

"Hi Sheree'.  Yes, the radiologist saw something on your mammogram films and would like you to come in this Friday at 10:00 for spot compressions.  Will that work for you?"

I don't know what scared me more, the fact that the radiologist wanted me to come in on Friday at 10:00 or that she had found "something".  I had a day until my appointment, and not only were the fingers of fear doing their merry dance along my spine, my stomach was doing somersaults. 

My first experience with spot compressions was almost 12 years ago; I had no idea what spot compressions were.  Whoever said that "ignornace is bliss" never received a phone call like this. I was far from blissful, I assure you.

I kept telling myself that everything would be ok.  I faithfully completed monthly self-exams, never missed my annual mammogram, and if they found something, at least it was caught early, right?

What is Spot Compression Mammogram?
All mammograms involve compession of the breast, the newest digital technology included.  A spot compression mammogram uses a smaller compression plate on the targeted area, with a slightly inceased level of pressure, and lasts no longer than the compression time during a customary mammogram. 

The spot compression shows the borders of the area in question much clearer than standard views.  Actually, areas that look questionable on the standard mammography images are often shown to be normal tissue on the spot views.

I was lucky - the diagnosis was 'dense tissue'. 

Last year at my appointment, I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had upgraded to digital mammography which has been reported to provide clearer views.  Little did I know, I would again get a call from the nurse telling me that a "questionable" spot was seen on my mammogram, and that I would need to come in for spot compressions.  I was better prepared when the call came this time.
At my appointment, I mentioned to the technician that I had spot compressions 12 years earlier on the same breast and location and that at the time was told it was dense tissue.  She told me that more than likely it was still the case, but with the digital mammography the views are so much clearer, that it's always better to err on the side of caution.  To which I whole-heartedly agreed!  I think I was just looking for a little reassurance that all would be well.

After viewing the new films, thankfully, the diagnosis was the same. 

The radioligist asked me to stay for an ultra sound, which would allow them to take precise measurements of the spot as a baseline.  In the future, this would allow them to know if the spot was growing or changing in any way.  She wanted me back in 6 months for a comparison.

The 6-month comparison went well - no change in shape or size.

Spot compressions aren't something to fear.  They're simply another weapon in our arsenal, along with monthly self-exams and annual mammography, to fight against the dreaded disease of breast cancer. So...

If you get the call - don't panic, knowledge is power.
If you get the call - know that you are taking charge of your health and that early detection is the key! 
If you get the call - or if you know someone who does - reach out - no woman should have to deal with the fingers of fear dancing up her spine, alone. 
We're all in this together...

ree'J

1 comment:

  1. As a 15 year breast cancer survivor (mine occurred when I was 29) I know all too well that fear but yes, having a baseline and keeping up with required checkups is soooooo important.

    Kudos to you.

    Paulissa Kipp

    ReplyDelete

We reserve the right to remove comments with profanity, personal attacks, spam, overt advertisements or other inappropriate material.