Saturday, October 24, 2009

Home Remedies - What'sYour Poison?

  • fever
  • cough
  • sore throat
  • runny or stuffy nose
  • body aches
  • headache
  • chills
I received an email from a co-worker this week, offering me a 'home remedy' for a cough.  Now that I think about it, my coughing was probably getting on everyone's nerves.  For some reason, the annoying cough is always the one flu symptom that hangs on forever.

Supposedly, my co-worker's grandfather would slice onions in a bowl and then sprinkled them with sugar.  The 'syrup' created from the onion juice and sugar was then used to treat a pesky cough, and according to the email, it worked.  The added benefit was that it could be taken as often as needed without fear of over-dosing the patient.


It's good to note that this particular co-worker has never used this cough remedy, but says that her grandfather and mother swear it works.

Even for an onion lover like myself, a sugary onion cough syrup sounds like it would have a high gag factor associated with it, don't you think?

When I get a headache, chills, runny or stuffy nose with a cough and fever, my products of choice are a  cup of hot herbal tea with honey, chicken noodle soup, some ibuprofen, a bottle of saline nasal spray and the remote control.  If my throat becomes irritated, I will pop a lozenge or two along the way.  Frequent napping is mandatory throughtout the day.

So, when you or your loved ones get the flu, how do you spell relief?

Do you have proven family remedies like the onion cough syrup?

I'd love to hear about the home remedies or products you swear by when the flu strikes at your house.

Oh, and if anyone would like to try the onion cough syrup and report back, that would be great! 

ree'J

1 comment:

  1. I like a spoonful of honey for coughs.

    To avoid the flu I'm trying an experiment this year. I am, admittedly, not a fan of the flu vaccine. I've read a lot about our immune system and links to a vitamin D deficiency. So, I'm keeping the whole family dosed on vit. D throughout the whole flu season. It's only November, but so far, so good.

    Onion syrup scares me a bit.

    ReplyDelete

We reserve the right to remove comments with profanity, personal attacks, spam, overt advertisements or other inappropriate material.